The event that all Apple fans can’t miss took place yesterday and Apple unveiled the new products that everyone can look forward to. These include new iPhones and Apple Watch models.
Three new phone models that keep to the look and feel of iPhone X, which was launched last year, will be released. They will boast larger displays with a faster chip, powered by the A12 Bionic technology. Read on for the details of these launches.
iPhone XS and XS Max
According to Channel NewsAsia, Apple calls the iPhone XS (pronounced iPhone 10S) the “most advanced smartphone ever”. The phone and XS Max will have the following functions:
- Super Retina, OLED display with HDR display
- IP68 dust and waterproof protection
- Dolby Vision and HDR10
- Dual 12MP back cameras, 7MP front RGB camera: Users will be able to film with stereo sound, as well as adjust a portrait photo’s depth of field after it’s taken
- A12 Bionic chip
- Longer battery life: The iPhone XS can last 30 minutes longer than the iPhone X, while the iPhone XS Max can last 1.5 hours longer
- Dual SIM capability: The two phones will allow for one physical SIM and one eSIM
- Better worldwide roaming with gigabit-class LTE
- Both are available in three sizes: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB.
The iPhone XS Max will come with a 6.5-inch screen, which is bigger than iPhone 8 Plus (5.5 inches). The iPhone XS has a 5.8-inch screen. Both will come in gold, silver and space grey finishes.
The lower cost model is the iPhone XR, which comes in six finishes: White, black, blue, coral, yellow and red.
The functions to look forward to:
- Liquid Retina: Apple’s “most advanced LCD display” with haptic touch
- 12MP wide-angle back camera with Smart HDR, which will also allow users to control the depth of their portrait photos
- IP67 dust and waterproof protection
- A12 Bionic chip
- Face ID
- Longer battery life: 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone 8 Plus
- Available in three sizes: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB.
What is the A12 Bionic chip?
One of the technologies that keeps coming up during the event has to be the A12 Bionic chip. According to Apple, this is the industry’s first-ever seven-nanometer chip, and will be used in the new batch of iPhones. The chip powers the phones with six-core CPU, fore-core GPU, and an updated Neural Engine that handles AI tasks.
An upgrade from the A11 Bionic, unveiled last year, the A12 Bionic has a 50% faster GPU and Neural Engine that allows it to handle five trillion operations per second, compared to 600 billion operations per second with the A11. What this means is that you’ll be able to load faster apps and enjoy the phone’s stronger processing power if you need to perform complicated functions on the phone.
Apple Watch Series 4
Apple shared that the Apple Watch Series 4 will be the first electrocardiogram (EGC) product offered over the counter. One of the key functions include its ability to detect falls and call for help if it detects that you are immobile.
Expect these functions in the Apple Watch Series 4 (compared to Series 3):
- Larger screens and cases: The 44mm case will have a 977 sq mm display area, while the 40 mm case will have a 759 sq mm display area
- Faster processing: A 64-bit dual-core S4 processor said to be 2x faster than the S3 processor
- An electrical heart sensor: Allowing you to take an ECG with an app that is coming out later this year
- Fall detection: When the watch detects that you’ve fallen, it’ll send you an alert asking if you’d like to call for help. If you’re immobile for a minute after a fall, the watch will call emergency services and send your location to emergency contacts
- Haptic feedback on its Digital Crown
- All-day battery life
- Watch bands from previous Series will still be compatible with the Series 4, Apple added.
Prices and launch dates in Singapore
- The iPhone XS starts at USD999 (SGD1,370). Pre-orders start on 14 September and will be shipped on 21 September to Singapore.
- The iPhone XS Max starts at USD1,099 (SGD1,500). Pre-orders start on 14 September and will be shipped on 21 September to Singapore.
- The iPhone XR starts from USD749 (SGD1,030). Pre-orders start on 19 October and will be shipped on 26 October.
- The Apple Watch Series 4 starts from USD399 (SGD550) with GPS and USD499 (SGD680) with cellular and GPS. Singtel is the cellular carrier in Singapore. Pre-orders start on 14 September and will be shipped out on 21 September.