Japanophiles, Pikachu fans, and those always hunting down fun things to do over the weekend will find one thing in common: the “Autumn in the Train” event happening this weekend will excite you.
Rail Cafe, the official cafe under railway operator East Japan Railway Company is the host of this train-themed event, which will happen at Tanjong Pagar Centre, from 11 October to 14 October. 14 October is also known as “Railway Day” in Japan to train otakus (train fanatics).
There are many exciting activities happening that we know you’re going to enjoy, and at the same time, find lots of photo opportunities for your Instagram feed.
The event is part of promoting the POKÉMON with YOU train, which runs between the JR Ichinoseki Station and JR Kesennuma Station in Tohoku, Japan. So it’s probably not surprising that our favourite Pokemon will be making an appearance on all four days of the events. To catch a glimpse of him (and to get photos!), take note of these meet-and-greet timing:
- 11, 12 Oct (Thursday and Friday): 1pm to 1.30pm
- 13, 14 Oct (Saturday and Sunday): 2pm to 2.30pm
Enjoy themed Japanese cuisine
We know not everyone is into the cute Pokemon, but you can still be at the event for the food. Try out Autumn-themed Japanese desserts such as these delectable doughnut ring cakes and glazed apple pie.
Participate in fun activities
There are also many fun activities that you can participate in at the event.
- Movie screening of Jimami Tofu, a critically-acclaimed Japanese movie about a Singaporean discovering his love for Okinawan cuisine
- Screening of works by famous animator Makoto Shinkai: the Makato Shinkai Marathon will feature films like 5 Centimeters per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Garden of Words
- Play Densha de go, a train simulation game where you get to experience how it’s like to drive a train
The “Autumn in the Train” event will happen between 11 October and 14 October, from 11am to 10pm, at Tanjong Pagar Centre, Level 1, Urban Park.