When it comes to food, most of us are bound to come across food trends every now and then – at the moment, netizens and foodies are really into ricotta toast. But with ricotta cheese involved, it means that this food trend doesn’t exactly cater to those who are lactose intolerant.
But, do not frown just yet because AVENUE ONE has found a deliciously irresistible alternative that lets you hop on the bandwagon even with your existing dietary restriction.
Keep reading to find out how you can make vegan ricotta on your own – we’re even sharing flavour combinations that go well on your ricotta toast – bon appétit!
How to make homemade vegan ricotta
We found this plant-based ricotta cheese recipe from the cookbook Plant-Powered Athletes via Mind Body Green that not only looks deliciously creamy but also super easy to follow.
The plant-based cheese recipe makes approximately two cups of ricotta and uses almonds and probiotic capsules.
Ingredients you’ll need
- 2 cups of almonds, soaked in water for two hours (or overnight)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tsp of Celtic sea salt
- 1 to 2 probiotic capsules
- Drain and peel the soaked almonds.
- Blend the water, salt and almonds together until smooth and creamy.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth and allow the mixture to drain for four hours or overnight.
- Transfer the drained mixture to a bowl and break the probiotic capsules into it. Stir gently.
- Cover the ricotta mixture and leave it to ferment for eight to 12 hours. Taste the ricotta as it ferments to find which flavour you prefer. Most importantly, use a different clean spoon each time you taste it to prevent contamination.
- Once fermented, flavour the ricotta to your heart’s content with ingredients such as lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, herbs or even dried fruits.
- Store your vegan ricotta in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Topping combinations you can try for your vegan ricotta toast
1. Tomato and basil
You can’t go wrong with this classic flavour. Simply throw some tomatoes (we like cherry tomatoes for their sweetness!) into a pan with some garlic, olive oil and basil, and you’re good to go!
Alternatively, you can also slice up some fresh tomatoes and sprinkle them with basil.
2. Fresh fruit and nuts
Try something new with this pairing of creamy ricotta with any fruit of your choice and a handful of nuts.
This combination works wonderfully well because you’ll get a perfect balance of flavours and textures with the smoothness from the ricotta, juiciness from the fruit, and a bit of crunch from the nuts.
3. Chilli oil and avocado
Want some kick in your vegan ricotta toast? Add a little bit of spice with this yummy flavour combination!
Slather on a generous layer of avocado and creamy ricotta, then lightly drizzle it with some chilli oil before digging in.
4. Strawberry and basil
Sweeten your meal with some sliced strawberries and basil atop your vegan ricotta toast. If you’re feeling adventurous, add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to this combination.